So I decided to go on a book buying/borrowing ban, until either my birthday in August or until I’ve read all the unread books in my bookshelf.
I think this is a suitable time to shout HELP into the void.
In some ways this was a random, impromptu decision, but in others it was well thought out and considered. I’ve known for ages that the ratio of unread books in my shelf was growing steady larger, and I knew that I would have to do something about it. THEN when I went out and bought 40+ books from a second hand sale, I knew that my TBR was really getting out of hand.
So here’s a short list of WHY I’M DOING THIS.
- the unread books in my shelf will squash me if I don’t.
- there are lots of books that I may never get round to reading unless I make myself, because libraries are distractions.
- I really want to read above mentioned books.
- my broke self can’t afford to keep up with my book-buying habit.
- please see number one.
My life right now is filled with regret every single time I glance at my shelf, upon which I have placed a pile of read library books in front of the unread books on my shelf.
So here’s what I’m banning myself from.
- secondhand sales.
- borrowing from friends.
- six months, i.e. until my birthday because hopefully I’ll get new books.
- until I’ve read all the unread books in my bookshelf.
Surely that won’t be that hard? Surely. *future me cries in the distance*
At the present time, I have three library books that I am planning on reading (I borrowed them before deciding on this whole ban thing) before officially starting my ban. They are the three books in the Raven Boys series, and when I saw all three of them on the library shelf next to each other in order my heart broke and I simply had to borrow them. I’ve only read the first one and can’t wait to try the rest!
SO that’s that! Six months of no buying or borrowing.
I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE MADE TWO EXCEPTIONS.
My Exceptions, Or the Two Books I Plan On Buying Despite My Ban:
- A Court of Wings and Ruin, by Sarah J Maas. It comes out May 2nd and I’m sorry but I’m not waiting until my birthday to read it.
- Berin and Luthien, by JRR Tolkien. It comes out May 4th and I’ve been looking forward to it for a very very long time! The book was edited and put together by Tolkien’s son, and I’m extremely excited to read it. MORE TOLKIEN GIMME PLEASE.
BUT APART FROM THOSE TWO I am not planning on buying any more books!
Fingers crossed that I’ll make it through the six months! I think the hardest thing will be no library visits, as I love my library. But no. I will last. I will prevail.
Have you ever done a book ban?
From a determined bookdragon,